Build out your Mahabalipuram plan
Mahabalipuram, also known as Mamallapuram, is a town located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is famous for its UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Shore Temple, Pancha Rathas, and the Descent of the Ganges.
If you’re planning a tour of Mahabalipuram, here are some must-visit attractions:
- Shore Temple: The Shore Temple is a magnificent 8th-century temple located on the Bay of Bengal coast. It is famous for its beautiful architecture and carvings.
- Pancha Rathas: Pancha Rathas are five monolithic temples located in a single complex. Each temple is dedicated to a different deity and has unique architectural features.
- Descent of the Ganges: This is a stunning bas-relief carving that depicts the Hindu myth of the descent of the River Ganges from heaven to earth.
- Arjuna’s Penance: This is a massive relief carving that depicts the story of Arjuna from the Hindu epic, the Mahabharata.
- Mahabalipuram Beach: Mahabalipuram Beach is a beautiful and serene place to relax and enjoy the sea breeze.
- Tiger Cave: Tiger Cave is a rock-cut temple located about 4 km from Mahabalipuram. It is named after the tiger that is carved into the entrance of the temple.
- Krishna’s Butterball: Krishna’s Butterball is a massive boulder that appears to be balancing on a slope. It is a popular tourist attraction and a great spot for taking photos.
- Mahishasuramardini Cave: Mahishasuramardini Cave is a rock-cut temple dedicated to the goddess Durga. It has beautiful carvings and sculptures.
- Varaha Cave Temple: Varaha Cave Temple is a rock-cut temple dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu. It has some of the most intricate carvings in Mahabalipuram.
Overall, Mahabalipuram is a beautiful and historic town with plenty of attractions to explore. Don’t forget to try some of the local cuisine and shop for souvenirs as well! check here for more tour package options